Sunday, November 6, 2011

Becoming a Green River Community College Gator

After 20 applications I finally found a job at Green River Community College (GRCC). I am working as a Program Coordinator for Disability Support Services (DSS). Yes, I have entered a world of acronyms.

I am starting my fourth week and it is hard to believe that I have almost been there a month. I really love the GRCC campus; it is surrounded by woods and very close to the Green River (hence the name). The campus reminds me of lot of Germany (even the rough toilet paper). I remember as a child in Wurzburg walking down a path to collect snails and there was a school hidden in the forest.

This is not the best picture but it is the only one I could find on the Internet. Anyway, you can see the building set back in the trees.

There are quite a few trails around the campus that I run on during lunch. There is a trail that has a lookout of Mt. Rainer. I haven't seen Mt. Rainer from this point due to cloud cover but I have faith that some day I will.

This from the Mt. Rainer lookout. Hwy-18 is below.

I work with 2 other women and they are great co-workers. And lucky us we work in a condemned building. It is freezing in the building too. One day I wore 2 shirts, a pull over fleece, and a zip-up fleece to stay warm. On the job listing it said that the applicant should be able to work in temperatures 15 degrees higher or lower than 75 and now I see why. :)

It is interesting how much the Community College setting reminds me of teaching high school. My first day there I was ease dropping on some students conversation and felt like I was back at Highland. Overall things are going pretty well and I am grateful for a job.

Since I don't have a car yet I am using the bus. It takes me about an one hour to get to GRCC. I enjoy this quiet time and use it to read. I have not had any weird bus incidents but I am sure they are coming. Oh, I did over hear one guy tell his friend that he liked a job because "1........ and B......".

2 comments:

Susan said...

Holly, you took some wonderful pictures. The leaves are beautiful.
what do you mean by 1.... and B...?
Love, Dad and Nay

Susan said...

I'd like to know what it means, too! (or is it something one should not write in a family-oriented venue?)