Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The foolish man built his house in the ground...

On the way home from work yesterday it was raining so hard that I had to pull off the road a 1.5 miles from home; I just could not see. For those who don't know, I live in my parents basement! Anyway, I came home from work and went down to my room and noticed that water was pouring in from the window well! I called to my butler, a.k.a my dad, and we discovered that rain was coming in the TV room from another window well too. Well, so much for a nice dinner, panic erupted. My dad and I went outside and covered the window wells with plastic, while my grandma and Susan tried to use plastic to divert the water into a bucket instead of the carpet. Finally, the rain stopped and left us with the mess of soaking up the water from the carpet. Thankfully, my dad was able to borrow a wet vac from someone in our ward. Before we got the wet vac we were using towels, which is a very slow process. So, we moved furniture and went over the carpet with the wet vac for about 3 hours and set up fans to try and dry the carpet. We were not the only ones that were affected by the storm. There were several families in the ward that had flooding basements. I must say I am very impressed with how quickly families were called and help was provided by other ward members. At one point I was dumping water off the front patio, when all of a sudden a speeding minivan came to a screeching halt in front of our house. Out jumped a ward member to make sure we were doing okay. I thought my siblings would want to see the pictures since they know what the basement looked like before "the rains came a tumbling down."


My bed use to be underneath the window!

We moved the dresser into the hallway

The Wet Vac "Manna from Heaven"

The TV room


Throughout today, I was constantly reminded of all the blessings that we received during this crisis. For example, I usually kept my books on the window sill, but I had put them in a box a few days before. They would of been ruined. Or, we could of discovered the water much later and had more damage. I am thankful for the Lord's tender mercies.

I told the parents if they were thinking of rearranging furniture, now would be the time :)

4 comments:

McMurtrey said...

What a mess!! They don't build basements here for that very reason!

Kim said...

I'm glad everything survived! I can only imagine the adventure of finding out the water was coming in the house... Ours all stayed outside thank goodness.

Owen said...

At least it wasn't the drainage pipes backing up like they did in Germany. That water was a lot more disgusting. FYI. Your stuff in our shop stayed dry.

Laura said...

I just got caught up on your last 5 posts. I have to say, "You are one exciting cookie!" I am amazed at all the cool stuff you are able to do! Good luck with this next school year!