Sunday, November 9, 2008

PI Trip

On November 6, I flew down to Arizona to go on a field trip with my old school, Oakwood. Since we weren't leaving for the trip till 10:30 pm, I flew in early and spent the day with my friend, Marge Hunter. Marge asked me to go with her car shopping. That is the second time I have been shopping for a car and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Marge is in her seventies and her kids are helping her buy the new car. The salesman offered her the lowest price so far but she would have to put a down payment right then without talking to her kids. I asked him if someone was spending his money on something wouldn't he want them to discuss it with him first. He said he could give her this deal now because they were not busy but next time she comes in they might be busy. I have yet to see the logic in the comment. Anyway, she did not put buy the car, but she did find that they were willing to give her the car for $2000 less than others. Now she can take her son in and get an even better price. It was interesting to see how desperate they were to sell her a car.

Marge and I also went to have dinner with our friend, Jane Placencia. All three of us worked together at Oakwood. I had a great time visiting with them and seeing some other former co-workers. I also got to see a handful of former students. I love to here what they are doing and were they are headed.

Now, you maybe asking why I would be going on a field trip with my old school. Well, my friend, Linda Cooper, runs the gifted program at Oakwood. I had been on four previous field trips with her and she asked if I would like to go again. Hmm, free trip to California and I get to miss two days of school. Count me in.

So, at 10:30 pm we loaded up 43 7th/8th graders and 8 adults and drove all night to California. Our first stop was Santa Cruz Island, one of the eight Channel Islands. Santa Cruz is off the coast of Ventura, CA. We took a one hour boat ride and during our trip to the island we saw a BLUE WHALE. It was amazing. We first saw its spray and then we could see part of its body come out of the water. The Blue Whale is the largest mammal on the earth. It was not a full size one, but is was large. If you look closely to the picture you can see the mist from the spray.

Blue Whale: Look for the mist


Santa Cruz Island



My friend, Linda Cooper and me

Once we got to Santa Cruz we went on a three mile hike. Parts of Santa Cruz are owned by the Park Services. It is so beautiful and peaceful out there. You can actually camp there and kayak. After hiking, we headed back to Cali on the boat. One our return drip we saw dolphins. They would swim with the boat. This is probably my best picture of them. My camera is just not quick enough to get a good picture. The kids loved it though.




The next day we went to Cabrillo Aquarium and Long Beach Aquarium. I am not sure why but that last two groups of kids I have had at Long Beach Aquarium have participated in a parade meant for little kids. The funny thing this time was that the parade had eneded and the girls were oblivious to it; they just kept marching.


After Long Beach we headed home to Arizona and I flew home on Sunday. I had a great time being with my old school, I always feel at home when I am there. My principal told me that they "retired my classroom" since it is empty this year. I feel very blessed to have had the opportunity to work at Oakwood.

1 comment:

Joni said...

Looks fun! That's so awesome that they wanted you to come back and go with them on the trip.