Sunday, December 14, 2008

Topless Women

I had a student ask me the following on Wednesday. "Ms. Leonard, how come in if a man has his shirt off in a movie the movie can still be rated PG. If a woman has her shirt off the movie is rated R." The following conversation than took place.

Me: "Well, probably because in our culture it is not proper for women to have their shirts off. Do you ever see men with their shirts off in the summer?"

Student: "If it is hot"

Me: "It is okay in our culture for men to do that. In other cultures it is okay for women to have their shirts off."

Student: "What about nude beaches? I think women should be able to go around with their shirts off"

Me: "There are some of those in America. So, what you are saying is that you would like me to go around without a shirt on?"

Student: silence

Me: "Or your mom?"

Student: silence

Me: "I ruined this for you, huh?"

At this point his friends started laughing at him and the conversation was over. This is not the first time he has asked me some weird questions. Last year he asked me what date-rape was and what a hysterectomy was. Oh, the adolescent male mind!

5 comments:

Hawaiian Free-Spirit said...

Ms. Leonard, what are hemroids?

McMurtrey said...

What crazy kids! I'm very shocked. He must just try to embarass you or something

Joni said...

Oh, I wish I could have been there to see that! Funny!!!

Alexis said...

Doesn't this kid realize who he's dealing with? A ninja is not so easily thrown off balance as he hopes!

Nilda Noel said...

THAT IS AWESOME!!! LOL again and again and again. I can picture it. I love you...so funny and always honest. I'm sure that he will think twice about liking the idea of nude beaches and I doubt he'll ever forget that conversation. Wish you still lived here!