Friday, September 14, 2012

Ensign Ranch

Every once in awhile I actually go to Single Adult Activities.  Over Labor Day there was a Single Adult Camp-out at Ensign Ranch.  This is a ranch the church owns that is about 80+ miles east of Seattle.  One of the exertions was riding through the Snoqualmie Tunnel.  Years ago the tunnel was used for trains but now the train tracks have bee replaced by a trail that hikers and bikers can enjoy.  I am not sure how far east it goes but my guess is you can ride over 100 miles on it.

We rode 2.7 miles one way through the tunnel.  It is really dark in the tunnel and required lights on our bikes.  When I first enter the tunnel I thought my light wasn't working properly because it was so dark and then I realized I still had my sunglasses on.
This is the mountain we went through.  We rode both ways through the tunnel.  Round trip it was 5.4 miles.
Five of us wanted to ride our bikes back to Ensign Ranch. From the Snoqualmie Tunnel Ensign Ranch is 25 miles.  I took pictures along the way.  The trail parallels I-90.  Stump lake is in the background.
Another picture of Stump Lake
This is the lake near Easton. I actually rode ahead of the group and rode over to the lake for a picture.
This is actually towards the end of the bike ride.  I am not sure why the pictures are out of order but oh, well. 
Part of the trail was actually closed and we had to ride on the I-90 for about 7 miles.  2 of the miles were downhill and I just let my bike go; it was a lot of fun racing the Semi Trucks.  Actually, it was a little scary and they zoomed past me.  We also had a tail wind and when the trucks went by you could feel the tail wind push you forward.
We crossed over a few rivers too.  It was a beautiful ride.  All total we did between 30 and 35 miles.  I had a great time riding with the other single adults.  I went to the dance that evening, which is a big step for me, and left after 2 songs.  I am just not into dancing anymore.  Sunday there were 4 Area Authorities who spoke.  Apparently single adults are the "core" of the church?!  Overall, I had a good time and enjoyed camping.  Although my first camp site was located in "Far West" or as I called it "Outer Darkness".  I was the only one out there so I packed up my stuff and moved to an open meadow where so I could join civilization.   

2 comments:

Susan said...

Glad you could go, Holly. Looks like a lot of fun -- though I'm not sure about riding bikes on the freeway!

Susan said...

Thank you for sharing these great pictures. I am so l glad you have a nice group of Single adults to do these fun activities with. I read the snowbird entries and really enjoyed seeing all the fun you had there. Next year for us. We are really excited about that.